A biblical focus on 1 Peter
As the Lambeth Conference explores the theme of being ‘God’s Church for God’s World’, the Biblical focus for the event will be the book of 1 Peter. A wide range of resources have been developed for use in Bible studies, discussions and seminars.
For those attending the conference – or for the wider Anglican World – we invite you to dive deeper into the book of 1 Peter and share your reflections with us.
In this short film, the Archbishop of Canterbury shares his excitement for the book of 1 Peter.
This film was produced before the pandemic and rescheduling of the conference to the British Summer of 2022
The book of 1 Peter is a personal favourite of mine. There is so much in it that is pertinent for the Church, for the world, for the times we are living in and for us as we seek direction for the Anglican Communion in the years ahead.
1 Peter is a book that doesn’t shy away from difficult things. It’s a book that addresses the challenges that Peter’s communities were facing. It speaks about belonging, alienation, exile, slavery and persecution –. – you can immediately hear the echoes in our world today.
It’s a book that raises an utterly compelling and inspiring vision of God’s kingdom. It raises our eyes beyond the immediacy of our struggles and differences. It urges us to hear a far deeper call. Through our faith in Jesus Christ, Peter encourages us to live lives of witness, hope and holiness as God’s chosen people.
Justin Welby // The Archbishop of Canterbury
The St Augustine Seminar
The Bible Commentary for the Lambeth conference has been created through the work of the St Augustine Seminar - an international community of scholars.
- Published by SCM, the commentary on 1 Peter is on sale for anyone to buy in full.
- Anyone can access the first two chapters of the 1 Peter Commentary for free.
- Delegates to the Lambeth Conference can access a full electronic copy of the Bible Commentary for free in advance of the conference.
- The work of the St Augustine Seminar and the resources it has produced have all been funded by St Augustine’s Foundation. This is a charitable grant-making body which is linked to Canterbury Cathedral. It is a body which exists to support theological education and development in the Anglican Communion.
- An international group of 35 New Testament scholars from Anglican and other churches around the world gathered in Lambeth Palace in November 2018.
- Convened by Professor Jennifer Strawbridge, Associate Professor in New Testament Studies at Mansfield College in the University of Oxford, the seminar and ongoing work have shaped the theological foundations for the Lambeth Conference, the resources prepared around the first epistle of Peter. The scholars represent a range of Christian traditions and experiences from Australia, Botswana, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Egypt, India, Ireland, Kenya, Nigeria, the Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, the UK and the US.
Watch videos about 1 Peter
Start to explore the message of 1 Peter. In these resource videos, watch Professor Jenn Strawbridge give an overview of the book and introduce some of the main themes. Hear from participants in the St Augustine Seminar share what inspires and challenges them about each chapter.
The commentary and videos on 1 Peter were written before the conference was rescheduled, due to the pandemic. Ongoing work will be undertaken for the Bible Study materials that will be used when the in-person conference meets, to reflect world events.
An overview of 1 Peter
Reflections on Chapter 1
Reflections on Chapter 2
Reflections on Chapter 3
Reflections on Chapter 4
Reflections on Chapter 5
Dealing with difficult themes (1)
Dealing with difficult themes (2)
Share your reflections...
What are you learning about 1 Peter in your context? Share your prayers, stories and reflections with us here
Sign up to get our 1 Peter series by email
Sign up to our 1 Peter email series, in which we share excerpts and reflections from the official conference commentary and video resources to help you study the book.